Thursday, August 6, 2009

Lasik Surgery

I survived Lasik. It was not as easy as I had hoped it would be, but I can see 20/15 now without contacts or glasses, so in the end it's worth it.

*****BEWARE!!!! LASIK DETAILS BELOW. READ AT OWN RISK******

I got there at 7:30AM and they took me back to a room and gave me 2 little Xanax pills to relax. I sat there for 45 minutes and never once felt like I was relaxing, so they gave me one more right before I went into the laser room. When I went in, none of the pills had kicked in, so I was tense.

I laid back on the table and they talked me through everything. Looking up was like looking under a space ship. They started with the right eye and taped my eye lashes up/down, then put in the numbing drops and the antibiotic drops. The next part was gross - they had to put on something that kept my eye in place - I guess it would be like the "rubber dam" from the dentist but for your eyes. It felt like my eye was bugged out (which it probably was). Then I had to look up at the green flashing light until I couldn't see it anymore, then they turn on some vacuum and that's when they took off the cornea. Let me tell you how GROSS that was - I thought at that exact point I was going to throw up, pass out or both. I tried to tell myself this would all be over soon and I tried to take deep breaths so I would not pass out. When the cornea was off everything looked very, very blurry - then came the laser. The laser smells like burning hair - GAG! So, if I wasn't already queasy from before I am about to lose it now. After the laser they sponge the cornea back on and drop in a ton of drops. I made it through it!!! Yay!

Oh crap! They have to do the other eye. That's when I was thinking to myself, "why am I doing this, why am I doing this, why am I doing this!?!" I was a wreck inside and totally regretting ever considering this surgery. A few minutes later, it was over. They moved all the equipment away and asked me to sit up and look across the room to see if I could see the clock and I told them I could tell it was a little before 9AM, but it was blurry. I was not able to stand right away because I was too woozy. The entire surgery really only took about 15 minutes.

With all of that said, the Dr. and staff were really great. If I had to suggest anything, it would have been to give out stronger drugs!!! I do understand why they don't though - you have to work with them to make sure it all goes correctly, but dang, it would have been nice to have been up on some cloud instead of the stone cold sober feeling I had.

When I got home I took a two hour nap and mom made me the best lunch ever. Time seemed to go very fast and I ended up napping again later in the day. I imagine it was either the stress of the day or the Xanax itself, but I was sleeping so well.

I had to wear these silly glasses for 24 hours. And for another week I have to wear them at night so I don't rub my eyes.

Scott has been making fun of me asking if I am headed out to play racquetball.
Sexy, huh?

1 comments:

Caryn said...

Wow, dems are some nice glasses, Springy! :)