Thursday, August 27, 2009

Silly Putty & Playdoh

Avery's teacher asked if we could make some playdoh for the class and of course we were happy to help out. I asked her teacher if she had ever made the silly putty before and she had not, but wanted to try it out.

We were excited to make the silly putty again, it had been over a year since we made it before.
So Sunday we set off to try to make homemade playdoh for the first time and a new round of silly putty. Avery helped me with the playdoh by pouring in the salt and kool-aid mix in the bowl. We made it in the stand mixer - which I think was what made it so easy to make. I think had we stirred it by hand we would have been miserable.

School seems to be going well so far. This year I am getting a little more feedback from Avery than I did last year. Sounds like she is enjoying school and adjusting very nicely.

First step in silly putty making - mix the food color with the glue.


End result of the first batch. Usually the first batch of anything you make is a dud, this time it was the best one.


This was my second batch and it didn't turn out as well. It took FOREVER to get the materials to mix properly. You just have to keep working it forever to get it to incorporate. I think I used too much liquid starch at one time.


Final batches of silly putty


Happy girl playing with the 'off' batch of silly putty.






PLAYDOH!

2 comments:

Amy Lynn said...

where did you get your "recipes" ?
I want to let the girls play too!

Caryn said...

I love the colors you made! They are so pretty! And I wanna make some silly putty, my girls would love it.